Lancaster City



First Team

Tue 21 Aug 2018 | Evo-Stik Premier Division | Away


Giant Axe


Mr Ian Walsh



Match Preview and Report - Lancaster City (Away) 21.08.18

By Mark Strickland 

Match Preview

Tonight, the Yellows go head to head with Lancaster City at Giant Axe. It is a quick turn around for both sides, who had disappointing starts, with The Dolly Blues losing 4-0 away to Matlock Town, whilst the Wire unfortunately came unstuck 2-0 to Farsley Celtic at the Winner Recruitment Stadium.


Last season Warrington won heavily in the feature game at Cantilever Park. Sean Williams netted a wonder goal in the 5-1 win and that goal was voted second in our goal of the season award, in our end of season awards.


The reverse fixture in August, ended in a 2-2 draw, on away soil.


Last season they finished 18th under former Lancaster player Phil Brown, whereas Town finished 3rd. However, with whole sale changes in the summer, tonight will be an intriguing match up.


Match Report


A massive win for the Yellows. What a difference not a week, but even a few days makes.


Warrington fell to a disappointing 2-0 defeat at home to Farsley Celtic on Saturday and there was need for improvement, but patience was a necessity with the amount of squad changes in the summer.


Meanwhile, Lancaster suffered a larger deficit at Matlock, with Phil Brown’s side going down by 4 goals to nil.


Team news saw Luke George came in to make his full debut at centre-half. This saw Aaron Hughes move to the vacant left back position. James Caton, on a month-long loan from Darlington, came in for Shaun Beeley. 


The Yellows lined up with a 4-4-2. The dilemma of how to fit in the forward three, saw Dunn and Caton on the flanks, with Amis and Gray leading the line. 


The game stared with a well observed minutes silence for two former directors at Lancaster, who recently sadly passed away. We send our condolences to their families.


The action on the pitch, saw the hosts dominate the early encounters, however Warrington were pressing much more dynamically, than their match on Saturday.


Although, when the hosts took the lead, the wind was temporarily knocked out of Town’s sails. Sam Bailey wiped in a teasing cross and despite the best efforts of Mark Roberts’ out stretched leg, Simon Wills arrived at the back post to steer home past Tony McMillan. 


Despite the frustration and disappointment, the Yellows were able to show great character. After Mitchell Duggan’s delivery, Ben Garrity kept the ball in at the back post, to square. It was in fact the nearby defender whose touch from the cut back crossed the line. Although, the stadium announcer credited Tony Gray with the goal.


With renewed confidence, the Yellows serged forward, with Josh Amis once again picking up the pockets space, on the edge of the ‘D’. After previously been caught deciding whether to shoot or play through, this time he struck a firm effort. The keeper held, but the tide was changing.


Aaron Hughes then fed Robbie Evans down the bide line. The former Billericay Town man, cut the ball back and Josh Amis slotted home to complete the swift turn around.


The Wire were in rampant mood and Duggan hit a lovely right footed arrowed shot, although it was always rising.


The half-time whistle was met by a firm rendition of ‘Warry-Warry-Warry-Warry-Warrington’. The travelling Yellow submarine were buoyant.


The crescendo of noise continued in the second half, with Richard Brodie and Jack Dunn being the beneficiaries of new chants.


The game was sealed 3 minutes before the hour-mark. Josh Amis again brought the ball into space. He found Gray, who faked to shoot and teed up the impressive Caton, who put the came beyond doubt, with a near post finish.


The jovial Yellows mood was in stark contrast to the hosts. A feeling of resignation could have been touched on, yet they kept McMillan alert with 2 decent efforts.


A great win, great support and most importantly a response.


Paul Carden’s men next face Stalybridge Celtic on Saturday.



Back to Fixtures