First Team



Hednesford Town

Tue 20 Mar 2018 | Evo-Stik Premier Division | Home


WARRINGTON Town came from behind to beat Hednesford Town 4-1 and pile the pressure on league leaders Altrincham.


Two Sean Williams free kicks plus goals from Devarn Green and Tony Gray helped the Yellows bounce back from an early setback and reduce the gap at the top of the table to just one point, after Altrincham were held to a draw by Mickleover.


It was a professional display by the Yellows after they had fallen behind inside eight minutes to Danny Glover’s header, left unmarked from a left-wing cross.


Hednesford were bullying the hosts in the opening exchanges, but gradually Warrington grew in to the match.


They should have equalised on 20 minutes when Steve Jennings was denied at point blank range on the line and then James Wren pulled off a superb save from Williams’ rebound effort.


At the other end, a dangerous free-kick by James Lawrie was headed away before Tom Thorley shot wide from the edge of the box.


The equaliser came on 37 minutes when Green won a free-kick and up-stepped Williams who curled it low and in to the bottom corner.


Yellows tails were up and they led 2-1 at half time when Green got in behind on the left, opened up his body and hooked the ball in to the far corner.


It took nine second half minutes to add further breathing space, Gray getting on the shoulder of the last man and showing great composure to check back and steer the ball past the goalkeeper.


That virtually ended the game as a contest, and Williams added gloss to the scoreline with an almost identical free-kick on 81 minutes, again curling inside the keeper’s left hand post.


Warrington Town: McMillan, Carden, McKeown, Jennings (Barnes), Higgins, Goulding, Green, Williams, Piggott, Gray (Bakare), Hayhurst (Kinsella)


Hednesford Town: Wren, Mendez-Jones, Curley, Gatter, Oje, Rea, Dwyer, Thorley (King), Glover, Graham (Butlin), Lawrie (Fitzgibbon). Unused subs: Bailey, Harris.



Back to Fixtures